develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language | Postings from September 2001

Re: LangSpec: Statements and Blocks

From:
Bryan C . Warnock
Date:
September 5, 2001 22:13
Re: LangSpec: Statements and Blocks
Message ID:
01090601095707.32512@wakko.idiocity.nut
It's still largely incomplete,  and getting a little weighty, so v.2 is up
on my web page:

http://members.home.net/bcwarno/Perl6/ref/statements.txt

I'm sure I didn't cover all the corrections from the first go round, so if I
missed anything, gently poke me in the side.

What's been added?
   BEGIN|CHECK|END|INIT blocks
   eval { block }
   { block } style code-refs
   try / catch blocks
   more definitions
   scope diagrams
   some detailed descriptions
   a stub for continuations

What's been changed?
   split the grep and map block entries
   added a continue block to the iterating 'for' block construct
   the definitions, many times.... :-)

What's left to do?
   A lot.  I apologize for it being so slow-going.   The three big things
are to finish the detailed descriptions, do the comparisons and contrasts
(which will hopefully explain why "this" ne "that"), and then make any
recommendations.  I still want to attribute most of the statements in the
document - or at least flag which ones have been set in stone.

I'm sure that many of my explanations may jar the more veteran of you, who
can more likely recite the pod and Camel explanations verbatim.  Some of my
differentiations may seem pedantic.  Thank you for your continuing patience
- if my madness were an object, there'd be a method to it.

As always, constructive criticism is welcome.

--
Bryan C. Warnock
bwarnock@capita.com