develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language | Postings from February 2002

Mono and Perl6....

From:
Aaron Sherman
Date:
February 6, 2002 11:43
Subject:
Mono and Perl6....
Message ID:
1013024781.9324.65.camel@pps
Ok, so I read Miguel's message:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-hackers/2002-February/msg00031.html

I drank the cool-aid and now I find myself thinking... should Perl6
compile down to its own byte-code or to Mono's CIL? Miguel feels this is
the way to go, and if Mono's bytecode is in fact so flexible that many
languages will be able to communicate through it, then perhaps we're
shooting ourselves in the feet by NOT targetting Perl6's back-end there.

I realize that this has the twin drawbacks of introducing the stigma of
a Microsoft technology into Perl's core and moving away from the
wonderful work done thus far on Perl6's byte-code. However, if there
will ever be a time to make this choice, it would seem that now is it.

Some pros:

* If Miguel is able to swing the community, Gnome4 will heavily rely on
Mono. If Perl is Mono-ready, that will make Perl a much more attractive
technology for new Gnome libraries and applications.
* If Perl6 uses CIL, then there will be a much larger community
supporting the back-end. Also, there will be a ready-made community of
people who understand how to integrate Mono-bytecoded applications into
their infrastructures (from Web services to development platforms, etc).

Just my thoughts....