develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language | Postings from June 2002

Re: More 6PAN musings: local namespaces

From:
John Siracusa
Date:
June 16, 2002 19:03
Re: More 6PAN musings: local namespaces
Message ID:
B932BAFA.3D3B1%siracusa@mindspring.com
On 6/16/02 8:55 PM, Robin Berjon wrote:
> Using domain names has been rejected over and over by the community (with both
> good and bad reasons), and any other scheme is prone to collisions.

Maybe the past proposals just weren't good enough...or radical enough.  I
think we have an opportunity here with Perl 6 and 6PAN.  The ball has been
taken and run with on so many other fronts (just look at Apoc. 5!).  Why not
here too?

> Imho there's not much more we can tell people apart from "be smart, and don't
> call your CGI handling bit CGI.pm".

The problem is that the directive to "be smart" quickly expands to "be
omniscient."  I think it's unreasonable to require extensive knowledge of
the 6PAN module hierarchy in order to safely create your own custom modules.
And that's not even considering cross-pollination of custom code.  This is a
solvable problem.  We shouldn't just throw up our hands based on past
failures.

-John