develooper Front page | perl.perl6.language | Postings from July 2002

$RS paragraph mode going away?

From:
Trey Harris
Date:
July 5, 2002 12:47
Subject:
$RS paragraph mode going away?
Message ID:
Pine.BSF.4.44.0207051505140.87828-100000@bowser.eecs.harvard.edu
Did I hear somewhere that paragraph mode (i.e., C<$/ = ''>) is going away?
I can't find it in my archives, so maybe it was one of my feverish Perl 6
dreams (of which I've had too many lately, after spending a few days in
training with Damian ;-) but I think I heard it said by someone with
authority at some point.

If so, what's the rationale?  Another case of "you can't do it right
internationally, so better not to do it at all"?

I'm just looking at the huge number of stanza-based files and
system-utility output sysadmins deal with every day using C<$/ = ''>, and
thinking "yeah, I could just write a grammar, but it's just a simple regex
match in paragraph mode..."

Trey