develooper Front page | perl.perl6.meta | Postings from May 2001

You will not have to rewrite your Perl 5 programs!

From:
Michael G Schwern
Date:
May 10, 2001 14:06
Subject:
You will not have to rewrite your Perl 5 programs!
Message ID:
20010510220649.G22945@blackrider.blackstar.co.uk
I'd just like to make this abundantly clear, since there seems to be
some confusion (and hopefully I'm not the one confused).

*** You will NOT have to rewrite your Perl 5 programs ***

Perl 6 *will* provide a backwards compatible Perl 5 parser.  The
details are not nailed down, but this definately will happen.

   I hereby declare that a package declaration at the front of a file
   unambiguously indicates you are parsing Perl 5 code. If you want to
   write a Perl 6 module or class, it'll start with the keyword module or
   class.
        -- Larry Wall, Apocolypse 1

And yes, there will be something for programs as well.

For further details, see:
http://archive.develooper.com/perl6-announce@perl.org/msg00285.html

--

Perl6 Quality Assurance     <perl-qa@perl.org>	     Kwalitee Is Job One