develooper Front page | perl.vmsperl | Postings from November 2002

Re: [foo.bar][baz.biff]file.tmp doesn't happen to work, does it?

From:
Michael G Schwern
Date:
November 18, 2002 13:36
Re: [foo.bar][baz.biff]file.tmp doesn't happen to work, does it?
Message ID:
20021118213620.GJ8260@ool-18b93024.dyn.optonline.net
On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 04:06:43PM -0500, Henderson, Jordan (Contractor) (DAASC) wrote:
> No, but
>
> 	VOLUME:[foo.bar.][baz.biff]file.wif
>                      ^ (note the dot here)
> is equivalent to
>
> 	VOLUME:[foo.bar.baz.biff]file.wif
>
> Note that you only get one extension this way:
>
> 	VOLUME:[foo.][bar.][baz.biff]file.wif
>
> Does not work.

Hmmm.  Having the magic only work one level down does limit things some, but
it still will be useful.  Are there any other caveats?

I want to simplify MakeMaker by just doing this:

PREFIX = VOL:[foo.bar.]
INSTALLPRIVLIB = $(PREFIX)[lib.perl]

pure_perl_install ::
    @$(MOD_INSTALL)
        read  $(PERL_ARCHLIB)[auto.]$(FULLEXT).packlist
	write $(INSTALLARCHLIB)[auto.]$(FULLEXT).packlist
        $(INST_LIB)     $(INSTALLPRIVLIB)
        $(INAT_ARCHLIB) $(INSTALLARCHLIB)

similar to what all other OS's do rather than what it currently does which
is having MakeMaker pre-concatinate all the paths together.  Since the magic
only goes one level, I can't get away with the .packlist generation, but I
can fix the INSTALL*LIB variables and leave $(PREFIX) in.

Interally it makes things much simpler.

Externally, it means this:  "make install PREFIX=[foo.bar]"
(or your moral equivalent) will work on VMS.

--

Perl Quality Assurance      <perl-qa@perl.org>         Kwalitee Is Job One
Monkey tennis